Tuesday, May 24, 2016

May 24th or, as I call it, Day 29

Lots of heat, humidity, miles. I'm tired and really looking forward to some downtime over the Hołiday weekend!
I left Corpus Christi amidst clouds, wind and mugginess (if that wasn't a word before it is now!), headed to Mustang Island which apparently is a well kept secret around town. I asked three or four people if the highway on Mustang Island went all the way to both ends and their responses were all "Mustang Island?"
I asked the Girls but they were taking the day off again so I took a mind full of look in' at the map and headed off. Navigation is a real problem when you are having to do it yourself on the fly.
I exited one exit too soon and found myself entering a Navy Base. The guard was not amused. I gave him my drivers license and asked him where I was. He asked if I was connected with the military in any way and I told him Great Lakes Navy Boot Camp, class of '68. Still not amused.
"I'm going to take this drivers license and stand at the last lane on the other side. You Sir, are going to go up here and do a U-turn around that last cone and meet me over at the last lane, where I will return your drivers license to you and you will leave." I hope he wasn't expecting a "yes Sir" out of me.
I did eventually find Mustang Island and the highway did indeed run the full length of the island where I found myself waiting for the next cargo ferry to take me about 150 yards across the bay to the continuation of the highway. I'm counting this as another form of transportation as the ferry in S. F. Carried only people, not my bike.
Back on the Main Land again, I headed north toward Galveston, a city that, between hurricanes, sits on an isthmus just south of Houston, literally IN the Gulf of Mexico. I stopped for fuel and, while sipping on some water, got the Girls back to work, and this time they weren't taking Interstate highways. Instead they took me on a series of "farm to market" roads, two of which were under construction, one of which had just been chip sealed and yet another that was under water! Then they took the afternoon off again!
I crossed a number of causeways and drove quite a distance on a narrow strip of blacktop, passed houses, apartment buildings and businesses that stood on stilts and looked eerily familiar. We have all seen them before, on the news, usually with Al Roker tethered to one of the wooden pylons that hoped to support a house against the approaching hurricane. 
Next week is the beginning of Hurricane season and there is a lot of construction being finalized. I couldn't help but wonder how much of the work was repairing damage from last year. These people love it here. You see them on the news - we'll rebuild, it's our home, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else...
The local TV Station is still giving out free Hurricane Kits! What's in it I don't know but I'm guessing there isn't enough 4x8 plywood for the whole house. With huge waves crashing against the shore, red flags flying every couple hundred feet, stifling heat and humidity yet people wearing coats on the beach because of the cold water in the air, it was not a fine glimpse of Paradise. You always have a headwind when riding down the road on a Harley and at 50 mph I couldn't help but think of the same scene but with the wind blowing 25 to 125 mph harder!
As I got further down the road I eventually passed through all of the small hamlets and came to Galveston. On the beach across from the Convention Center was a large group of people. The locals were surfing, or body surfing, kite boarding. The visitors stood in the foam, up to their ankles, calling it good enough to be an official dip in the Gulf!
The cloud cover persisted all day but with no rain. The overnight low was 80! Like I said, hot muggy and just shy of 300 miles for the day! Tomorrow it's a mere 270 miles to Lisa's where I plan to spend several days sight seeing with my favorite daughter in all of Texas! Yippy Eye Kyyeah (Tom - spell check please).
I can't get my pictures to upload tonight so... Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Frog:
    -- Can't believe that nasty navy guy didn't tell ya ta get a haircut. (And I thought the NUCLEAR navy was lax. . . .)
    -- You asked that li'l ole editor in the family, me, to help you with spell check. Done. Here's the edited version: Yippy eye Kyyeah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Galveston isn't all that bad when you have the time to stop and enjoy it. That's where our old roommate, Willie Cruise, lives. The humidity is probably the worst part though.

    ReplyDelete