Monday, May 2, 2016

Day 7 - baggin' it

My first "down day" went by quickly. Met Scott and Bev for an early lunch in San Rafael, then took off for Folsom, not to be incarcerated but to pick up a replacement saddle bag. The fact that one was located relatively close by (250 miles round trip) should have been my first clue that things were going too smoothly.
Sure enough, after driving half way across the state we discovered, upon opening the box, that the bag was correct but there was no mounting hardware to serve as a bottom mounting arm. The bag will have to just hang there until I get to San Diego, where the hardware will be shipped for my eventual pick up.
Only interesting thing today (other than lunch with the Pressmans) was a picture I saw on the wall at the Harley Dealer. A wonderfully composed shot of a passel of bikes jockeying for position in the turn of a dirt flat track. I can tell from the bikes, the leathers they wear, even the funky wooden guard rail it was taken in the same era when I was racing the half mile ovals back in Wisconsin. Judging from the design of the helmets I would guess '68 - '70. I don't recognize any of the riders but I bet they were among my heroes in the day. It was exciting to see the picture; it brought back a lot of memories of fun times.

1 comment:

  1. "I don't recognize any of the riders," huh? Folks, as you all know, Frog is a very modest fellow. Too modest, in fact, to own up to his being IN that photo on the wall at the dealership. Well, in fact fact, Frog is at the FRONT of the pack in the photo. Yes, bike number 1 was Frog, on his Montesa, in 1969 at Springfield, Illinois. And right behind him, amazingly, were his siblings: Denny (#42), Tim (#62), Carol (#72; she always was a fan of numerological sequentiation; oh, and this was back in the days before she began a daily depilatory regimen, which is why the helmet is tinted so as not to reveal a truly awful-looking mustache of sorts), Mark (#unreadable, or #notyetdecided), John (another #42, why not?), and barely discernible Pat (that's a standing epithet for the guy, especially in crowds: barely discernible; # #). Not shown: oldest brother, yrs truly, #53,162, stuck as always in first gear and already a half mile behind. It was quite a race. C'mon, bro on #1: let your Frog flag fly!

    ReplyDelete