Thursday, May 26, 2016

Op-Ed: California vs. Texas drivers as seen from the saddle

I think we would all agree that, nationwide, the SoCal drivers get the most recognition for their bad and/or rude habits. I must say, after approximately the same number of days in the saddle in each state that Texas is trying hard to be number one.
The motorcyclists in California were terrible. On the freeway the vast majority of cyclists I saw were speeding, not a big deal when everyone else was doing the same. When traffic slowed down however they moved bad driving/riding in to it's own genre. 
Weaving recklessly in and out of traffic at closing speeds that didn't allow for a plan B if another motorist suddenly decided to occupy the same piece of real estate was the norm. 
Creating their own lane on The Freeway was, although I am told legal, the most unnerving habit. If cars are at a standstill and a biker wants to creep forward in traffic I can understand that (but wouldn't do it myself). It is sometimes difficult to sit idle in traffic and hold the clutch lever in; been there done that. When traffic is flowing at 60-70 mph and a cyclist decides to turn it into a high stakes game of "I can occupy that space sooner than you", that's when the stakes become too high. If you've never observed this first hand, let me explain.
You are driving along at highway speeds, watching the idiots in the lanes ahead of you vie for positions as they become available. You periodically check your mirrors to know when those behind you are making their move. It is, I believe, unlawful in Southern California, to remain in the same lane, behind the same driver, for over one-quarter mile. Allofasudden, a motorcycle comes flying by you at a closing speed of 10 to 30 mph (i.e.their speed is that much greater than yours), and I'm not talking about passing you in the (usually non-existent) vacant lane next to you. They create their own lane between the two traffic lanes, riding the white line that separates cars by (hopefully) just enough to allow for the width of his handle bars. This comes as a total surprise to you as the bike was not in your rear view mirror only seconds before, so it startles you and the other drivers to no end.
But the bad antics don't stop there. I was riding in the right lane as I approached an intersection. Having just passed a car I looked to the left to ensure I was indeed clear of his front bumper so that I could safely change lanes, then turn left. As I spotted the car I had just cleared and was turning my attention to the road ahead I happened to catch a glimpse of another bike in my rear view mirror, overtaking me at a high rate of speed. He cut off the car and flew past me on the left in the lane into which I was about to turn. I hesitated slightly to allow him to fly by and, as I did, his buddy came flying by me on my right, in MY LANE!
Another time I was winding my way down a mountain road and had some idiot fly by me on the right, in the same lane!
So how does this compare to Texas drivers? I don't have a lot of observations to share regarding motorcyclists (maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the rain, but I have not seen a lot of bikes on the road). I have had a number of first person observations of four wheel drivers that have bewildered me. The State of Texas (like most states) is pushing a motorcycle safety awareness program asking drivers to share the road. Texans apparently have an aversion to being told what to do.
On no less than six occasions I've had a vehicle pass me on the open highway by crossing a double yellow line. On one occasion the driver didn't even bother crossing the line, he just came by me in my own lane! At least he had the presence of mind to pass on the left. Twice I have had cars merge right on top of me, then look at me as if to say "sorry, but I had to cut you off because my lane was ending". Given the choice of cutting off a cyclist or using the brake pedal, they opted for the former.
An electronic sign seen a number of times in West Texas stated that there have been 1181 motorcycle fatalities - This year! And we are still in the month of May. Sounds like a Hells Angel party gone bad!
So, based solely on this observer's eyewitness accounts I would say that, when interacting with motorcycles, California cyclists take the cake, but Texas motorists are the frosting! IMHO

3 comments:

  1. Every year Austin has ROT rally (comparable to Sturgis), which brings in one of the largest biking crowds for a week full of shows, riding, and "fun" It's an awful weekend to work the ER. But, I don't recall having many car vs bike accidents. Whereas California, there is actually a law in the books allowing bikers to "ride the white line", It is risky driving, but I have seen worse in India (cars, trucks, and bikes alike have no idea what the white line is even for). Dallas does have very agressive car drivers, but I think the worst place I have driven in the US is Atlanta, GA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that your travels are a safe one.

    ReplyDelete