Sunday, May 15, 2016

A side trip on Day 20

My departure from Temecula is not set until tomorrow, but I took advantage of the downtime to do a real nice loop that included a wondrous mountain road leading to a point of interest I had on my original route. Because I had rendezvoused with Jason and company at Legoland, I had not stopped at the iconic Mission at San Juan Capistrano. I corrected that today so that tomorrow I can head directly back to my original route, then turn south and continue on my way.
My trip today also incorporated a very scenic (and highly recommended) drive from the Lake Elsinore area, west to SJC. Apparently the idea of riding up and over a winding mountain road wasn't very original as I saw in excess of a hundred motorcycles on the 25 plus mile ride!
As the highway climbed on the east side of the mountains several scenic views were afforded (I keep forgetting that California does not use the same area for turnouts and scenic overlooks).
The trip west to SJC was delightful, with the cool morning temperatures, pleasing scenery and, of course, the mountain dancing. This was not a particularly tight twisting road, it was one that even the most faint of heart could probably negotiate easily without pale knuckles.
Once I arrived at my destination I easily found a parking spot and went into the Basilica to find a seat (pew) for Jason and company who were driving over to join me for mass. The Basilica was incredible, both in size and majesty.
Although the mission was established in 1776, the original church stood for only a few years before an earthquake felled it in 1812

The 24 carat gold backdrop cost $1.8 million dollars; the entire amount was donated by just two parishioners 

After mass we took a quick 20 minute guided tour of the church. The current church was built in 1987 and declared a Basilica in 2000 and a National Shrine only a few years later.
It was somewhat sad to learn that the iconic sparrows had not returned to San Juan Capistrano since 2009. Due to urban sprawl, the co pula of the church is no longer the highest point in the area and this one fact has altered the behavior of the birds who had been migrating here for 200 years. Science is trying a few high-tech experiments to see if they can get the millennial Falcons (oops, I meant sparrows) to vacation where their grandparents used to go (kind of like inheriting a time share I suspect)!
After the tour we had a nice relaxing lunch at the Mission Grille across the street, which featured a live 
musician (Mike Hamilton), who was quite good and set a very enjoyable backdrop to our simple meal. Even the kids noted that it was a very laid back atmosphere!
To return home we could choose between The 74 or The 76. We chose the one less traveled and that made all the difference, as they say, i.e. No traffic!
Jason decided to take Ashley and Aaron on the train from SJC to San Clemente. Victoria took Aurora in the van and I followed on my bike to meet them at the Metro station in San Clemente. As we exited the Interstate (The 5) Victoria turned right at the bottom of the ramp and I stopped to wait behind the cross traffic. By the time I was able to proceed Victoria had long since disappeared down the road. I wasn't terribly concerned because I could call her to find out where she was. So I asked Betty where I should go, as in "send me a sign". As I did I looked up at the street sign which read "<- victoria". So I turned left, went down to the beach, and there was Victoria!
After a short wait the train came and we walked out onto the nearby pier to watch some surfers ride a few waves. It was about an hour drive from there back to Temecula. By adding dinner at T.G.I.F. Friday's we capped off a really nice day that children and adults alike agreed was a very good day.

3 comments:

  1. I love those "no way!" moments, such as looking up and seeing a street sign with precisely the sought-out name.
    I think you also found the buried treasure. Your final photo above undoubtedly reveals "a big W" if seen from the right angle. . . .
    (Words of explication on request--for those to young to remember It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Now, no further words of explication needed.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about now I'd check with Betty on the winning lottery numbers.

    CA can be so beautiful / inspiring and such a pain in the ass.

    ReplyDelete