Monday, May 9, 2016

Did you hear the one about the man with a wooden Lego named Smith?

Long day today. Got up early and partook of the Continental Breakfast at the hotel, then hit the road. The skies were black, both to the east and west, and south of town I was to be driving toward a storm. The news talked of flooding in certain areas. It did not look promising. But yet again my guardian angel pushed the lone patch of blue sky overhead down the highway ahead of me. I stayed dry all day!
The GPS desperately wanted me to get on the 405 but I ignored her and stayed on the Pacific Coast Highway. Every block it told me to turn. You would think that after awhile it would figure out I wanted to stay off of the Interstate. Funny thing was that thee was very little traffic on highway 1. I cruised at the speed limit all morning long.
Rode through some mighty high filutin' neighborhoods today. In Huntington Beach I saw the Maserati dealer just a couple of doors down from the Ferrari dealer. Then another block and a half down, across the street, was the Bentley dealer. I finally figured out that the GPS was trying to keep me out of Huntington Beach so as not to lower property values!
Long Beach reminded me of a scene out of Bay Watch.
Laguna Beach was more of a stereotypical beach scene.
In one town I spotted a CaliforniaTourist Information Office. I was a little ahead of schedule so I stopped in. 
This old guy was trying to help me as best he could and offered me a map. I told him that wouldn't be of much help as California was soon to be in my rear view mirror. I explained where I was headed and what I had planned. To my surprise he said "I did that once. The year Easy Rider came out! I left Virginia Beach, rode to San Francisco, then across the south til I got to Oklahoma. We stopped at a gas station and the guy said he wouldn't sell gas to no motorcyclist. That was when we figured we'd head a little further north."
Nice old guy but I sure am glad I'm not as old as he is.
I got into Oceanside about 11:30 and called my son Jason. He was taking his daughter to Lego Land for her birthday so we met up and I rode with them into the park. 
This was my first trip to Lego Land (and I got a button that proves it!) so it was all new to me. I just followed them around all afternoon and took pictures. Being that Legos were well after my time I guess I don't get it. I would much rather have gone to Lincoln Log Land. 
They did have some very involved displays but I must say that their attention to detail is certainly not up to Disney standards. Several of the rides were down for maintenance and I don't recall ever seeing that  at a Disney Park. Then there was this:
Now go back and read it again to see if you spot the spelling error.

The kids had a good time, and that was why we went. Bryce might have liked this guy:

And Aaron and Ashley braved the cool temperature to get drenched, several times over.

After the park we returned to Temecula for ice cream and cake (they made me eat it Lisa!), where I will rest for a couple of days before continuing. I rolled over the 2,000 mile mark on the tripometer on the way to the park so I am about 1/8th done with the trip already.





2 comments:

  1. Fun post! On the photo of legosaur: sheeee, that's realistic! How do they make those plastic trees and plants look so real? And on the Jay Lightininining sign: congratulations, Frog; you are now an Official Blooper Snagger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the blog, Frog. Especially your humor. Thanks for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete