Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The last half of the U.S.

Even though New York City was pretty close to the mid-point of my trip, my attitude took a sharp turn after that. I was no longer going INTO our dream trip, we were closing it out. Other than a brief clip of a crop duster (they've always fascinated me) my next video was to record my excitement of seeing the mountains on the horizon again. In this case it wasn't a matter of being nearer home, but a matter of being near Glacier National Park.

These water-efficient faucets are incredible. Who needs all that water splashing in your face? No problems with this one!

Once we were inside Glacier we came to McDonald Lake on the west end of the park. The lake was pretty and obviously an attraction for many, but my attention was on the backdrop.

When we arrived at Logan Pass, the high spot on the Going to the Sun Road, we spotted some Big Horn Sheep a short distance away. Unfortunately, I don't have a zoom lens on my phone.
(Editors note : I just went back and looked at this video, it's terrible! You'll have to believe me that there is a couple of Big Horn Sheep in there!)

The Garden Wall rises above the Going to the Sun Road and provides one of the most iconic sights in the park.
Just to the east of Logan Pass was this water fall. It is unique because it falls horizontally!:



After leaving Glacier I found a place that had a course consisting of 8 zip line rides through the tree tops. I managed to get a couple of video clips. Unfortunately, you'll have to turn your computer on it's side to see them:

Then there was Diablo Canyon in the North Cascade Mountains of central Washington. The glacial run off gives the water an incredible green hue.

A little further to the north (actually north of the border) was Shannon Falls, outside Vancouver, British Columbia.

As I neared the end of the road (literally, I was at the western-most point in the lower 48 accessible by road) I discovered Cape Flattery, an impressive shoreline on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington.
This panorama starts with the Kessiso Rocks at the western apex of the Continental U.S., then pans past Tatoosh Island, a U.S. Coast Guard lighthouse site, then pans to Vancouver Island across the Strait of Juan de Fuco.
And that's it. Not much exciting video (I may have to return to get better video, maybe make a documentary) but lots of memories ad a few good stories! I hope someone enjoyed the trip as much as we did.




No comments:

Post a Comment