Saturday, August 6, 2016

Closing the Circle

If the reader will indulge me this personal entry...
Almost exactly 41 years ago a young newlywed couple drove into East Glacier, expecting to witness the grandeur of Going to the Sun Road, as depicted in a book they owned about the National Park System. It was early October and the two flat landers were amazed when told that the road was closed for the season because of snow! They vowed to return to what they felt was one of the most captivatingly beautiful regions in the nation.
Betty and I travelled the western states and many of the parks for our honeymoon, for 5 weeks in an RV loaned to us by my parents. As recited many times over the next 39 years "we ate at the top of the Seattle Space Needle and slept at Phantom Ranch in the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and everything in between". Well, almost everything. There were two disappointments in our travels. One was having to drive around Glacier instead of through it, the other was not being able to see through the falling chicken-feather snowflakes to view Crater Lake in Oregon.
We were able to return to Crater Lake for our 37th wedding anniversary vacation and had a fantastic time. We were not as lucky with Glacier.
When I left Boise in April there were two absolutes that I was determined to check off. It would be great to see Alcatraz and Kitty Hawk, wonderful to see Cape Canaveral and emotional to view the Grassy Knoll. But the defining moments for me were to be viewing Lady Liberty and fulfilling a promise I made to my wonderful better half, to visit Glacier and "Go to the Sun".
I knew it would be emotional for me but I was still ambushed by the avalanche of emotion that over took me today. I made it to East Glacier in the early afternoon, got a motel room, then went to the Grand Lodge of Glacier. At age 103 it still is impressive. I stood at the information desk, looking for a map or brochure that would explain what to see and do in the park. I first found a brochure for a rather unique zip-line experience (Monday?), but then found a brochure for a Red Bus Line guided tour of the park. The all day tour includes a trip over Going to the Sun Road. Betty would love that!
The young lady at the desk asked if she could help me. I said "What are the odds there is an opening on this tour tomorrow?" The look on her face told the story. Not only is it high season but also a weekend. 
There came an eye brow raising look upon her face when she came back with "there is exactly one opening on tomorrow's tour. Are you traveling alone?" 
I tried to answer but choked on the reply. I wasn't traveling alone but only needed one seat. I began to gain control of my verbal skills and told her that this trip was 41 years in the making. I explained to her what I meant and by the time I was done I had a reserved seat on tomorrow's trip, and we were both crying. She thanked me for sharing my story and I thanked her for having a seat available.
We're going to the Sun babe.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely blog. Thank you for sharing, Frog and Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely indeed. Well done. We'll indulge you, anytime.

    ReplyDelete