Monday, August 8, 2016

A redo worth the price of admission

Yesterday was a marvelous day. My anticipation level was high and I was not disappointed. I really felt that I had closure on a promise I had made. The sun was shining as we entered the west end of the park. As we cleared the summit at Logan Pass, we pulled a blanket of clouds slowly behind us, as if a page in a grand book was being turned to signify a chapter complete. By the time we reached the highway for the final stretch back to the lodge we were pulling the top closed, although I knew Betty would not let us get too wet.
The overnight weather added a lot of moisture to the countryside. My plan for today was to ride Going To The Sun road east to west. The tour was great but all who know me know that I'd rather leave the driving to ME! Most of my pictures had been taken so I figured only a few stops would slow my progress.
It ended up being several stops as the views were different when looking west and the morning released some beautiful high altitude fog banks which, when mixed with the morning sun and blue skies, made for some dramatic images.
Wild Goose Island, in St. Mary Lake, was in the opening shot of The Shining
The fog clings to the side of Mt. Oberlin, just west of Logan Pass
Going To The Sun Road cuts across the face of the Garden Wall
The road hugs the hillside near St. Mary Lake
I love the symmetry of the lines in this tunnel


The trip this morning passed through the East Gate at 9:30 (the sign, even at that early hour, said the parking lot at Logan Pass was full, expect delays) and I exited the park at 11:45. But look at those scenes, it was a great decision to ride to the Sun today!
I have had numerous people ask me what my favorite location was on my trip. Up until now I have been reticent to supply an answer, knowing that Glacier National Park was still on the agenda. I now can answer the question without reservation.
Lunch was at the (typically expensive) restaurant at the West Glacier park entrance. I then headed down Highway 2 toward Columbia Falls. A brochure at the motel had piqued my interest and I had to check it out.
It turned out that there were two recreation opportunities, one a couple of miles east of Hungry Horse Dam, the other a couple of miles west.
The first was Glacier Highline, owned by Tom and Karen Fisher. It was a unique blend of high and low ropes courses, a 200' zip line and a climbing wall.

 They also offer a 30' giant swing that allows you to drop into a large pond or lake, made especially to receive heavenly bodies returning to earth. 

They had quite a few helpers on hand to be sure everyone was safe on the high course and zip line. 
When I was a Scout Leader we had arranged for the Scouts to do a couple of ropes courses and climbing walls, and the 6'4" kid with the long hair was able to join in the fun. However, I don't recall ever being able to slide down a zip line. I probably would have signed up for the course just for the zip line had I not already known about Glacier Ziplines a few miles down the road.
This was zip lining on steroids. I signed up for a 3:00 group and hung around anxiously. This course is actually a series of 9 zip lines, plus 2 demonstration lines to prepare everyone for the experience. You spend anywhere from one to two and a half hours in the tree tops as you and your team mates (my group consisted of Mom and Dad, aka Stacy and Barry,  and their two little adventurers, Mikayla and Garrett, ages maybe 8 & 10). We were guided safely by the enthusiastic Sooner, Hannah, and her boss/owner Reno. The course consists of heights up to 70 feet,


 a spiral staircase near mid-course to regain elevation and Ziplines of varying lengths up to 750+ feet. 
No, my feet were not almost dragging. I was about 40 feet up!

They claim that by the time you complete the course you have travelled a mile of cable. I can't speak for other guides but Hannah puts her all into making it a fun experience. She even threw in some corny jokes like:
What did the Buffalo say when his son left for college (by son). I thought he should have said "study hard, have fun and let the chips fall where they may". 
Or - knock knock, who's there? Yodel lady, yodel lady who? I didn't know you knew how to yodel!
It was fun; expensive, but unique fun. They've only been open for a couple years so I expect they'll do well. Reno says he's thinking about expanding by putting a 30 foot free fall off the front of his tower, which is right on Highway 2. That would really attract passers-by, if not cause some traffic accidents!
By the time I climbed out of my harness it was a few minutes after 5. Time to move down the road and find a motel in Kalispell. 
I suspect, weather allowing, I'll cruise right through Idaho's panhandle tomorrow and into my final state - Washington. I further suspect I am less than 2,000 miles from my finish line. But still miles to go before I, uh, before I sleep?



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those are amazing pics of the rolling fog!
    So, with zip line and convertable limo added to your modes of transportation, how many do you have now?

    ReplyDelete