Thursday, April 28, 2016

Didn't get too far today

Today was an easy day, when compared to the long saddle time invested during the previous two days.
The weather was better - no rain during the daytime (it did rain last night whilst I slept), higher temperatures to begin with and got to do some sight seeing. Unfortunately, the clouds did not clear as predicted so the temperature did not hit 60 degrees, staying instead in the low 50's.
The day began with a stop at the Sea Lions Cave, a natural cave carved in rock by the ocean over many millenni. It has a 200 foot elevator shaft, dropping from highway level to the bowels (or at least bowel) of the cave. Inside the cave are many many Steller Sea Lions, which are brownish (unlike the California Sea Lions which are black) and grow to roughly twice the size of their brethren to the south. The males can grow to twelve feet in length and some attain a weight in excess of 2,000 (those would be in the caves with pizza delivery service).
The cave was really cool (literally and figuratively) but two things stick in my mind.
First, I was concerned because they had installed lights in the cave (to accent the rock formations toward the north entrance where there were no sea lions). Lights require electrical wires which are prone to being eaten by animals. So you can imagine my delight when I discovered that the wires were protected by running them through, ... Wait for it... Seal tight! (A little electrical humor there, trust me it was really funny).
Secondly, and more importantly, the view out the north entrance, was stunning.
On top of the second point is the Hectera Light House, still warning ships of impending disaster after all these years.
I stopped at numerous scenic overlooks and underlooks along the way.
By the time I reached Coos Bay and ate lunch I found one of the museums that I wanted to visit closed. The other museum I had put on my list doesn't open for regular hours until Memorial Weekend. I was, however, able to reach one of the volunteers who is going to meet me tomorrow morning to open the museum for me!
So I'm spending the night in another motel. Tomorrow I have two museums to check out, then skedaddle for points south prior to rain that is approaching from the north. If I'm out of town promptly I should stay dry and cross into California tomorrow.
Stay tuned -will the Frog stay dry?
p.s. Google is not allowing me to download my route today (network error), but I forgot to start the recording when I left the hotel. So my distance today was only 120 miles, but it shows about 95. That's okay though, cause no one really wanted to see it anyway.




5 comments:

  1. Hey, DryFrog:

    Like the photos, and their picking up of pace. Like the photo of the bike. Would love to see photo of you! Do you have any children who can teach you, long-distance, how to take a selfie?

    Also (to satisfy those in your audience who are interested in the tech stuff): what's that giant box behind your back? How about a closeup or two? I think there was one shot in which it was covered with plastic, and so its real nature remained concealed. Is it a big square animal cage? Are you carrying seals across state lines?

    Ride well always, bro--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is/was a show on the BBC where a professional racecar driver would test drive various cars. He goes by the stage name The Stig. Whenever you see him, he is in full racing gear and no one knows who he is. Maybe Frog is the American Harley version of the Stig? Hmmmmm.....

      Delete
  2. The "seal tight" observation wins you the "Seal of Approval" for today's blog post! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha !! I got it Seal Tight, LOL!!
    Those pictures make me miss the coast :(
    The beach is so calming and I loved watching the water hit the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful view! So glad you are able to add pictures now. Ride safe and keep the posts coming

    ReplyDelete